Review of Soulmate Food
Everyone who knows me knows that I am a terrible cook. It’s just not one of my talents. I’m daunted by the whole prospect of cooking, I have no time to give to the task and when I occasionally do enter the kitchen, the result is usually undercooked meat, overdone veg and tasteless sauce. Yes, I have always been very un-motivated and un-creative in the kitchen; and now that I am no longer tied to be mother’s apron string, I chose to eat out, eat cereal or wait for my boyfriend to cook.
On the flipside to this I am pretty health conscious, so a greasy take-away or a microwave meal wouldn’t cut it for me. I’m really rather picky aren’t it? I care about what food I put into my body and prefer to opt for healthy food to help my energy levels, skin, waistline, general complexion and my mood. This is why Soulmatefood appealed instantly to me.
Soulmatefood describe themselves as, “Innovative lifestyle menus, hand created for the individual and delivered straight to your front door. Soulmatefood is about being healthy, inside and out. Gourmet, delicious and nutritious meals and snacks prepared specifically for you, whatever your goal. This is health food, but not as you know it.”Michelle Keegan, Daisy Lowe and Jessica Ennis are fans – that’s good enough for me!
I ordered the 4 week, 5 day Weight Loss Plan online with a discount code and waited patiently for a few days for my first box to arrive.
With each 3-day package I was sent a personalised menu outlining my breakfast, lunch, dinner and 2 snacks (AM and PM). Having food sent to my door felt incredibly indulgent, especially when I didn’t know what was going to be inside the box! I enjoyed reading through my menu every few days and stacking my fridge full of colourful, imaginative meals.
So how did it taste?
I was blown away by the food, which looked fresh, beautiful and was so mouthwateringly delicious. I struggled not to eat all of it by lunchtime. Unlike traditional chefs, Soulmate chefs don’t rely on salt, sugar, butter and cream to make the meals burst with flavour and taste. From alkaline cooking, specialist raw food production as well as free-from procedures, the kitchen team produce the most appetising, balanced food I’d ever eaten. Not to mention presented and packaged perfectly in small labeled containers.
My favourite food from the plan:
- Haloumi salad
- Avocado chocolate cookie
- Tropical granola with mango yogurt
- Salmon noodle stir fry
- Pulled pork brioche
- Bang bang chicken with noodles
- Chocolate orange and avocado mouse
- Mango and blueberry cheesecake
So would I recommend it? It’s a YES from me. Here are some pros and cons before you decide if it’s right for you.
- You don’t need to plan your meals, food shop or do any food prep/cooking. You just open the fridge and take out your meals! Perfect for people like me – time poor, bad at cooking but enjoy eating healthy food
- Your personal nutritional requirements and calories are calculated and met
- The food and drinks are truly delicious
- You are never hungry – I didn’t even snack on a Malteaser Bar or Diet Coke once
- The variety is amazing. One day a fish dish, then meat with salad, then a veggie or cheese option.
- It’s run by a professional team and the customer service is spot on
- It is pricey, you cannot deny it
- The novelty did start to wear off a little by week 4
- Planning around the deliveries could be tricky, sometimes I wasn’t home and then had to travel to pick up the box from a depot. This meant I was out of sync with my meals.
- Personally I didn’t love the juices
- Not very environmentally friendly with plastic packaging and cardboard boxes
Overall I was really impressed and would do it every day if I could afford it. Sadly it’s too expensive to be a permanent substitute to cooking, but I will be most definitely ordering another 5 Day Weight Loss before my next holiday.
For now it’s back to the scrambled eggs on toast for me. #mustlearntocook